Thursday, October 9, 2008

Thursday (for want of a better title!)

I'm feeling much better today and despite how stiff I was yesterday I still managed a good workout with my trainer. That is what's great about having a personal trainer - if I hadn't signed up for one I would not have gone back to the gym this week until my legs had stopped aching! Yesterday when I told him how sore and stiff my legs were he said we'd work on my upper body and he'd help me stretch out too. I felt much better for having him stretch my legs. I could stretch the front of my legs by bending my knee and grabbing hold of my foot, but to stretch the backs of my legs he had me lie on the floor and he pushed my leg upwards, keeping it straight. It was a much better stretch than I could have done on my own!

I'm having a day off from training today. My trainer said I could go in and just do 7 minutes in the sauna, which would help sweat the toxins out of my sore muscles. I was going to go in, but I've been catching up with housework instead. And I actually need to get a lock for the locker rooms there. I don't have any way of locking away my purse until I get my own lock. They don't provide them at the gym! I'll get one soon and perhaps treat myself to a sauna and a swim one day next week. I've also been told to eat more protein so I'm trying to eat protein bars and make protein smoothies in between my meals. If I don't, I can't seem to get the amount of protein (which is about 63 - 70g daily) from just the foods I put on my plate. I'm a 'grazer' and I don't often eat big meals. The only time I would normally have a lot of protein is from a chicken breast for dinner. Sometimes I have a tuna salad for lunch but not always. So I'm making a concerted effort to make sure there is a good amount of protein in each meal, or at least the snacks in between if not in the meal.

This morning for breakfast I made some 'protein pancakes' from the Eating for Life cookbook. They are made with oatmeal, egg whites and cottage cheese. Rather a strange texture but not too bad. Lovely with a little drizzle of pure organic maple syrup. For lunch I had a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. I'll probably make a shake or have a protein bar sometime before dinner.

OK, not much going on around here and I don't want to bore you all too much with 'gym' talk, so that's it for today.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how are you going to get a pic of your PT for us? We've got to see what he looks like LOL.

That's terrific that you feel it's doing you good, even if you've been rather stiff and sore from the workouts. I'm keen to watch your progress and hear all about it.

I maust say you are a brave lady eating those oatmeal pancakes. Oatmeal gives me terrible tummy cramps, so I rarely have it but wish I could as it makes a good hearty hot breakfast during the winter months.

So what about your allergies? Have they settled down?

Have a wonderful weekend sweets (((hugs)))

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! Good for you to join Golds Gym and get a trainer. I think the original was here in Venice, CA. That's where Arnold always went- our Governator. ;) Boot Camps are popular here where you get this trainer screaming at you! :lol: Sounds like yours is more considerate. Enjoy the weekend! (((Hugz))

Anonymous said...

Hey D!

Look at you go at the gym! I wish I liked working out more. I really need to get off my butt and get in shape. Hopefully I will find the motivation soon!

Your pancakes sound rather... interesting. I much prefer your lunch meal ;-)

I'm off to visit my Dad and Gelene for Thanksgiving this weekend. We'll be home Sunday night late so hopefully we can catch up Monday. Is it time for a new Scrabble game?

Love & Hugs xo