Sunday, October 12, 2008

Think Pink!

It's almost the middle of October already and it's Breast Cancer Awareness Month! I wanted to change my graphics for a couple of weeks to remind us all how important it is to take care of ourselves and continue to do 'breast self-exams' on a monthly basis. I know I haven't posted about this in a few months, and I have to be honest and say that by not doing so, I got off track and stopped doing a BSE each month. But it's never too late to start again. And I find that when I post about it here it helps me stay accountable not only to myself but to my friends who read this blog too. So, if you're like me, and it's been a month or two since you took a few minutes to 'feel' that you're ok, then why not do it now. Early detection - it can save your life!

So, how was your Sunday? I hope it was a fun and relaxing one for you. We didn't go to church today. Kristen had diarrhea in the morning and she was nervous about going to church because she said they don't have bathroom breaks once their service starts. Of course that's not to say she wouldn't be allowed to go to the bathroom, but I was concerned too that she might not make it to the bathroom in time if she HAD to go. She'd already had an accident that morning at home!!!

So we popped out for a quick lunch and went to Lowe's to get some mulch and some fall flowers for the yard. And yes, I have some pictures to show you today :-) Remember this . . . .

this was my yard at the beginning of the summer when I just planted the marigolds and some other flowers. See the little red leafed plant (on the left) well I thought you might like to see how it grew over the summer. . . . .


seriously! this is the same plant - can you believe it? Here's a close up of the pretty leaves. . .

The days are cooling down a little here which is why I wanted to get out the front and clean the flower bed up a bit. I bought some chrysanthemums to add to the borders as the marigolds had all died away, and I added some new mulch too. The mulch I bought though is different to last time and I don't really like it. The bark is much bigger than I thought it would be, but it will have to do for now. Here's a couple of close up pictures I took of the flowers that came out really pretty. . . .

These orange flowers have been in since the beginning of summer, you can see them in the first picture next to the dianthus and marigolds. They've spread out a lot too and have been flowering all summer long.

No school tomorrow, it's Columbus Day :-) So no early rising for me, yay!


7 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Denise, just popping in to see what you have been up to lately. I can see you got yourself a personal trainer. How is that going? I hope you enjoy sleeping in tomorrow.
Hope you have a great week.
Hugs,
Cindy

Yo-Yo Mama said...

Your flowers look fab!!!!!

Lucky you get a day off school today - our schools are open as normal. I'm not sure if some government workers get the day off or not - maybe it varies from place to place. Shaun is definitely at work and he's already on his way to Virginia for a meeting. I need to get the kids off to school and then I'll be in the gym! Does your gym have a kids room so you can take Kristen with you today? Ours does and my kids love to go there which definitely helps to keep me motivated on days when they are home. Have a good day!

sadie said...

the flowers look lovely, gorgeous colours.

Poor K, hope her tum is better now.

Got your bd card today! Thankyou! :O) xxx

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! I think that red-leafed plant is a coleus. It's really doing well. Hope Kristen is feeling better today. Enjoy the week ahead! (((Hugz)))

Anonymous said...

Hey D! Your garden looks LOVELY! I just had my breast exam done at the doctor for this month at my yearly check up. Good to go for another month ;-)

Hope your Columbus Day was relaxing! Our Thanksgiving Day was lovely. We had a great weekend at the cottage (I'll write about it tomorrow hopefully) and today we were home and enjoyed a beautiful walk through the woods with friends.

Do you want to start our next Scrabble game or shall I? If you want to go ahead, if not leave me a note in Facebook & I'll start ;-)

Hugs xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Denise! Your little garden is lovely! Wow - that plant sure grew a lot over the summer! I think Darylynn is right about it being a coleus - even though I don't know a lot about plants. :-)

Hope Kristen is feeling better - you too!

Glad the personal trainer is keeping you on track - what a great idea. Have a blessed week. Hugs!

Yo-Yo Mama said...

Hey there

Our kids room has toys and coloring books etc for the younger ones and then for the older ones there's an XBox and a Wii with 2 big screen TV's.