Sunday, February 15, 2009


HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!


I hope you all had a wonderful day yesterday. Did you spread a little love? I know I did ;-) and I got lots in return too. Usually we don't do anything special for Valentine's day, Jason and I don't try to go out to dinner (we always think it will be too crowded, and we'd rather just stay home) and usually the day falls during a school week so I don't do anything special at home either. This year though, it fell on a Saturday, so I thought it would be fun to plan a lovely Valentine dinner for my little family, including my mom-in-law who I invited over (cos Papa is in CA - "hi Papa, we miss you"!).

I got creative and did 'heart-shaped meatballs to have with spaghetti! Wanna see?




I found a recipe online for oven-baked meatballs and used my heart shaped cookie cutter to shape them. I just filled it with the raw meat mixture (I didn't roll it out and then cut them, the mixture was too soft for that). I was hoping they would hold their shape as they baked. Later for dinner I added them to a can of spaghetti sauce, and voila! . . . . .




A cute little dinner. I only did a small amount of spaghetti for each of us. I didn't add garlic bread or salad to the menu, and my reason for this was that I didn't want us all to get too full on dinner that we couldn't enjoy the yummy dessert I had planned. . . . . .


FONDUE!!



Kristen couldn't wait for this part. I made Bailey's Irish Dream (just like they do in the Melting Pot, actually I got their recipe from HERE!) As you can see we had strawberries, grapes, bananas, marshmallows and cake to dip in. We rolled the marshmallows in cookie crumbs too, just like they showed you on the recipe site. This was super delicious. After the fondue we had Irish Coffee (decaf coffee with Baileys!). Oh and throughout the meal, mil and I were drinking Mimosa's :-)


I'll leave you with a picture of the beautiful flowers my hubby gave me....

10 comments:

Esther said...

mmmm, yummy meatballs! We went to a friend's house for dinner yesterday as we don't really celebrate valentine's day, except for sending each other a card. Leah received a card but I couldn't find one suitable to send to a three year old from a two year old - they are all too rude!

Journeying Five said...

the meatball are so creative, what a great idea!

Anonymous said...

What a great Valentine's feast you guys enjoyed!! Your roses are beautiful! Doug brought me some last Wednesday too :-) I get mine early each year and he always seems to know the day I really need a little extra TLC ;-)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks for sharing about your meal. I'll have to try those meatballs some day. Will you pass along the link/recipe for those baked meatballs when you get a chance please?

Love ya
xo

Tammy said...

Hi Denise,
Your dinner and flowers are all lovely! I haven't had spaghetti for a very long time and now I'm hungry for some. An idea for dinner tonight. Have a blessed Sunday, sweetie. Big hugs!

Ren said...

the meatballs turned out so well! the fondue looks really delicious, too! i'm glad you had a good valentine's day! : )

Susan said...

What a clever idea for the meatballs and lovely roses too!

sadie said...

sounds like a lovely Valentine's Day. Bill and I don't go out either, we'd rather stay home with little one.

Gorgeous roses.

Have a lovely week :O)

Gigi said...

Heart shaped meatballs?! What a great idea you creative girl you! And the fondue looks so good and fun to boot.

Danna said...

That is quiet creative! I have been searching the web for some crock pot soup to make... I had Stuff Potato Soup the other day at a restaurant and thought I could make that. Do you have any ideas? HUGS

MRS MJW said...

LOVE that you made heart shaped meat. My hubby would love that.