Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Can you see the potential?


I've been frequenting the local Goodwill store lately in the hopes I'll find some bargains, perhaps for my tablescapes (which I did, but I'll share those another day!). The other day I came across this rather sad excuse for a topiary! Hubby laughed when he came home and saw it in the garage :-)

But I see the potential, don't you? I've often envisioned some kind of topiary at my front door, but look at the prices of these things ! They don't come cheap. This one did! This one was only $7 at Goodwill.

I am aiming for something like this (picture from Michael's website). Even at Michael's these cost at least $50 when not on sale.

So, first of all I pulled the flowers off, then I started snipping away at the 'wood' wrapped around it. Everything was wired together, and there were Christmas lights on it too, although strangely enough I never did find the socket at the end? The greenery had to go too. I want to get some new ivy. I will have to go take a closer look at the ones in Michaels as I'm not sure if the leaves are stuck on separately or if it is wrapped around the balls in long strands.

Right now my 'soon to look fabulous' topiary looks like this. . . .

I actually like the look of this, very Autumnal, don't you think? But I do want to cover it with greenery so it can be used for other seasons too. I'll keep you posted on it's progress :-)

For more fabulous 'outdoor' posts visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.

16 comments:

Mikki said...

Oh I love it!
I can see little white lights around Christmas time... maybe...

Have fun with that one :-)

Julie said...

This looks awesome, clever you! You certainly have an eye for seeing potential in things.... you inspire me!

Hope your week is going well sweetie. Luv ya xoxoox

nenna said...

Hi Denise I just loved the shelf and what you did in your downstairs loo, also your tree for outside I know will look great. I don't know what happend to me when they dished out the talent for doing crafts as you and our Jean seem to have it all, I'm absolutly useless at anything like that saying that I don't seem to have had much time what with having three kids and now six grandkids, but still I suppose we can't have everything. I love the happy birthday for mam we went for lunch to the Hastings Hill ,George and Mike came along I think she enjoyed it, will show her your blog when she comes round. Love and Miss you lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

My name is Riet said...

That is such a good idea.
Have a nice day

sadie said...

I see the potential. :o)

xx

Sue said...

You remind me of my sister in NC D... she is the queen of bargains and it looks like you are cut from the same cloth. lol

Great find and hopefully you'll have it looking like those expensive trees in no time. Can't wait to see your finished project!

Hugs

Gigi said...

Oh, that looks great! Austin has some great thrift shops, doesn't it? Have you ever been to 'Second Time Around' on Burnet Rd. -- good stuff. Also, the St. Vincent de Paul shop has some great things -- found a round leather topped table for $20 last time I was there -- score ;-)! I didn't have time for shopping when I was there last weekend -- not even yarn -- rats!
Blessings,
G

Maggie said...

Hi,
I like the look of you topiary as it is right now, what a pretty scene by your front door.
Happy Outdoor Wednesday.
a bientot
Maggie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Great topiary. I would love one too but as you say, they are really expensive. I can't wait to see what you do with yours. Hugs,Marty

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a great idea. I never would have seen the potential. You are very creative. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Kathy C. said...

Denise, I definitely see the potential in your find - I love scouring the thrift stores too, treasure abound! :)
It actually does add a nice touch of Autumn brown just as it is, but I'm sure you'll change it up as inspiration hits. :)

Sarah said...

I do like the topiary just as it is! I need to replace the topiary at or front door. It is a live plant that I purchased at Lowe's this past spring. It's served us well, was doing great even in the summer heat, then all of a sudden it has dropped its leaves and looks sick. Hopefully Lowe's will have a reasonable replacement. :-) Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. Happy Fall! ~ Sarah

Signing Out said...

I would have snapped that up in an instant for $7 for sure! Awesome!

Jane

Anonymous said...

How nice it looks now that you took all the green off. It is perfect for fall and with your talent, who knows what you will do with it for Christmas. That was a great find.

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! It already looks a lot better! I'm sure you'll make it look great. good for you for spotting the hidden potential! ;) Maybe you should go on a design show competition! ;) (((Hugz)))

Ebie said...

Hello, Denise, I see your creativity, and I shop at Michael's too (yarns for crochet projects). There's your touch of Autumn. And happy birthday to your Mommy, one post below!