Monday, August 30, 2010

Happy Monday

menuplanbutton

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a great weekend. I didn’t write a post yesterday for my Sunday Musings because I did one on Saturday and there wasn’t much else to add to it.

Still trying to plan ahead and make my menu plan, so here’s what’s on the menu for this week:

Monday – Coconut Curry, Cilantro Lime Rice and Naan Bread (the curry is a jar from Target!), ice cream for dessert.

Tuesday – Tacos, Home Made Refried Beans , Tinned Fruit

Wednesday – Crockpot Salsa Chicken (not sure if I will have this over rice or make enchiladas)

Thursday – Baked Ziti, Salad and Garlic Bread

Friday – Leftovers or Pizza!

I don’t know what I’ll do for the weekend, will think of that later on in the week.

Here’s something we finally had last weekend. . . one of my favorite summer time meals, hot dogs, bbq beans and home made potato salad – Yummy :-)

DSCF2865

Also on the menu last week was Fried Rice, I’ve been doing this quite often with our leftover rice. It’s really quick and simple. . .

DSCF2844

I simply sauté some green onions and garlic in a pan with a little sesame oil, add some frozen peas and corn and shredded carrot, cook for a few minutes then add the cooked rice, you’re basically just heating everything up at this point. Once the rice is hot add about 1/4 cup of soy sauce (or more to taste). Remove from the pan then scramble two eggs in that same pan, add the scrambled egg to the rice. It’s up to you what protein you add to it, this one above was shrimp fried rice that I made myself for lunch one day. Jason doesn’t like seafood so the next time I made this I used some left over pork – it sure is a tasty dish though.

So, here we are starting our second week of school and can you believe it’s September 1st on Wednesday – whoo hooo :) I really hope the weather starts cooling down now. September always used to feel like the start of Fall (until I moved to TX!), I hope we don’t have to wait long for cooler mornings. We had a couple last week but today it was already 79 degrees at 7.30am :-( It was too hot and humid to go walking so I popped in a dvd and walked in front of my tv!

Hope you all have a great start to your week.

Denise

14 comments:

LadyT said...

Hi Denise;

Dropped in to say hi and see what's new. Your menu made me hungry. ;-}

Have a wonderful week ahead. ;-}

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

It all sounds good! I have not been too good with following through on the menu plans. Maybe next week when school begins it will be easier to stick to a routine. The kids are getting bigger, and they're beginning to wander for dinner here and there. Most days they're home, but it does make a plan harder, since the dinners at a friend are rarely planned ahead - they just happen. In the school months, I have a better grip on the schedule.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your menu this week sounds fabulous! I really need to start thin king of dinner sooner than the hour before. Tonite it was chili mac! Thank goodness for air conditioning, we can pretend it's November with this comfort food dish!! lol!

What is Naan bread, by the way?

xoxo
Jane

Anonymous said...

I love fried rice and your recipe sounds so good!

Julie Harward said...

Looks like a fun menu for the week! I am catching up on your posts..Kristen looked so cute on her first day back to school and you are an awesome knitter!!! :D

Richella Parham said...

Hi Denise! Dinner at your house sounds yummy!

Thanks for explaining exactly how you make fried rice. I've been shy about trying this dish. I've had a couple of people tell me how they do it, but I've never done it for myself. Now I'm going to print your words and follow your method step by step!

I made your crockpot salsa chicken again this weekend. I made enchiladas and they were a big hit! That recipe is definitely a keeper!

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! Jason wouldn't like dinner at my house because we have fish or seafood 2 to 3 times a week. :) We get wild salmon and also paella from Costco and Trader Joes has all kinds of great frozen fish like Mahi Mahi and Ahi Tuna. Most of them come with sauces, too. Between those two stores, the only thing I buy at markets anymore is milk. And don't forget to keep repeating the phrase, "Take out (or in your case takeaway) Friday." ;)

Southern Lady said...

The menu sounds yummy! Carla

Linda said...

Hi Denise,
Dropping by to say hello!
Love your menu and it is making me feel hungry!
Hope you had a good weekend.
Hugs

Melissa Miller said...

Denise I love and miss fried rice. Yours sounds delicious and yummy! :)

Unknown said...

Hi, Denise~

MMM...Crockpot Salsa Chicken sounds really good over some rice. I love anything that can be cooked all day in the crock pot...plus the wonderful smell.

We are still waiting for school to start here on Long Island...Sept 7th. Can't wait for fall either! It is my favorite time of year to decorate the house!

Have a great week!

Cindy said...

Hi Denise, I am so behind of my blog visits, been working on my Christmas blog, and updating some other things, but wanted to pop in and see what you are up too.

One of my favorite summer meals is the same. That picture makes everything look so yummy.

Hope you having a great week.
Hugs!

Shelley said...

Oh I'm loving the menu planning - once I am settled in my new abode I may just have to get inspired here :D

Melanie said...

The rice looks delish. I love fried rice.