Friday, May 2, 2008

Molten Lava Soup!

At the risk of boring you yet again with another food related post (do I ever talk about anything other than food?) Here's what I made in the kitchen yesterday. It's 'Dragon's Molten Lava Soup! I made this while Kristen was at school because it had to cool a lot before I could put it in the blender.

Another simple recipe. The recipe called for vegetable stock, but I had mistakenly picked up veggie broth instead! It was Central Market's Organic Vegatarian Vegetable Broth. I'm not sure if that altered the taste much, but I shouldn't think so. Along with that goes tin tomatoes, tomato paste, 1 carrot, a small onion and garlic.

Here it is simmering for 25 minutes on the stove top.

Once it's cool you put it in a blender to get rid of all the lumps. What I didn't really like about this part was the blending it seemed to make the soup rather 'frothy' and it stayed that way even once I re-heated it.

I served this for dinner along with a turkey burger and spinach salad. Kristen gave it one thumb up, but not surprisingly two minutes later said she didn't really like it and didn't finish off her small bowl full. Jason (not being a 'soupy' guy) didn't even try it :-/ I really liked it, and again the added bonus is I know exactly what is in it. So I shall be eating this alone for lunch and will probably freeze a few other portions to have next week (hopefully it freezes well, otherwise it will be going down the sink!)

So the salad I did yesterday was my first recipe from the Clean Eating website. I modified it slightly. It's strawberry and spinach salad with a poppy seed dressing. I didn't have fresh strawberries so I used some tin peaches and an avocado to put on top. The dressing I made like it said, concentrated orange juice, plain yougurt, honey and poppy seeds. I REALLY liked the dressing, so fresh and tasty. And overall I LOVED the salad too. Jason ate it reluctantly (he'd rather have iceberg lettuce with thousand island dressing!) Kristen wouldn't even try it.

I've got to pop out to the craft store in a little while. Kristen is doing a presentation at school on Monday about Pufferfish and she wants to dress up as a fish! Her teacher suggested we get a t-shirt and glue pipe cleaners on it to make spikes so she looks like a puffer fish and then we can stuff it with paper, or I might try to tie a pillow around her middle to make her look puffed up! This is a project they've been doing in her QUEST class as part of their 'independent' study. I'm hoping to take the video camera along so Jason can see how she does (he'll be at work at the time).

It's overcast and grey today, so I'm going to shoot off and get to the craft store before it starts to rain. Thunder is forecast too and a high of 89!!!!

Happy Friday!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Denise, the soup & salad sound awesome. Too bad you're the only one liking it. Hopefully some other dishes will work better with Kristen & Jason.
It's going to be stormy soon here too, I guess it's coming straight from your area :) Have a great weekend, hugs

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! Another cute recipe! The salad looks especially good. The puffer fish costume will be hilarious! Can't wait to see pix of that! Have a great weekend! (((Hugz)))

sadie said...

ooh, another recipe! Well, I don't think it's boring at all, I love food and I love reading what other people make. I alwalys totally enjoy reading people's Thanksgiving menus, when the time comes. Part of what I love about Gooseberry Patch books is the casserole recipes, casseroles in the US seem so different to British casseroles. So talk away, because I find it both interesting and fascinating.

Sounds like you have your work cut out with your troups though, and I'm sorry about that. Bill just eats whatever I put in front of him (even a stuffed mushroom the other week, and I know he loathes mushrooms) and Humbug is very very good about food and trying new things. It's hard, because you can't sellotape a child to a chair and force feed them spinach or other heathly stuff, but I think the right approach is what you are doing. To make things interesting and hope that they try it. We make so much of an issue about food, clearing the plates and the old favourite 'starving people would be pleased of that', but the bottom line is we must tread carefully or risk giving food issues in later life. Bill won't eat bananas in any shape or form, after being force to eat nana custard at boarding school. They had a 'clear your plates' policy, so he used to scoop it up and put it in his pockets. He has such bad memories, he can't bear to even look at them. I think he's done well to even help humbug eat nana slices!

ok, am rattling on. Hope your mag arrives today :O)
Have a super day, looks like it's going to be quite sunny here today. I have written a small post today, not much, just something to remind us all that we must do nice things for ourselves sometimes.

lots of love to you, and thanks for all your comments and emails this week.
xxxx

Danna said...

Hi Denise, I have a minute to pop in. I hope Kristen loved the soup. I am having a good time in Cali. HUGS

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend then from the comment you left me (thank you).

So do you have Kirsten's puffer fish ready for tomorrow? I bet you've done a great job! That so takes me back to having to make such things for my kids...such great memories. Make sure you take some pics ;)