When was the last time you bought a fresh chicken to roast? I asked myself that question the other day after watching an episode of 'Cook Yourself Thin', a new cooking show I'd just discovered on Lifetime TV! My answer was "I can't remember", in fact if I'm honest I don't think I've roasted a chicken in the past 10 years!!! I cook with chicken all the time, but buying a fresh chicken and putting it in the oven to roast is.... well, it's just 'foreign' to me. I often buy a rotisserie chicken because I think they're cheap, or at least they used to be. Now a rotisserie chicken costs me $6.99 at my local grocery store.
Yesterday I decided I would try to roast my own if a fresh chicken was cheaper than that (yes, I had no clue the price of a fresh whole chicken). I bought one at Walmart, 4lb in weight, for $3.79!
And here it is.... doesn't that look delicious - and it was SO easy. I followed the recipe from the tv show and they simply mixed 2 tblsp of olive oil with some fresh rosemary (which I have in my herb garden) 2 cloves of garlic, some thyme and sage, salt and a squeeze of lemon juice (I used dried thyme and sage because I didn't have fresh). The cavity was stuffed with more rosemary and a lemon cut in to quaters. I roasted it for 1 hr 20 minutes and voila.... dinner was ready! Served with fresh green beans and a little mash potatoe.Here's the FULL recipe from the website
You can bet for sure I'll be making 2 other meals from this guy, chicken salad for lunch, and I'll boil the chicken to make soup ;-)
Linking to:

9 comments:
This is so funny because I just roasted a chicken for the first time in years about 2 weeks ago. I am with you, don't know why I don't do it more often. Yours looks gorgeous and I'm sure it was delicious. Thanks for the recipe. Hugs, Marty
that looks so yummy Denise, I might have to give this a go. Thanks for sharing!
Sunday! I often roast a chicken on a Sunday so I can use it to make Bill's sandwiches and a potato topped chicken pie for Humug. I usually chop and onion and lemon to stuff in the cavity, and I always do what I did on Sunday, which is to push butter under the skin, between breast and skin, so it seeps through the meat during cooking. I had some fresh thyme, so used that to add extra flavour too. To stop it sticking underneath, my top tip is to use sliced onion for it to sit on, this also adds extra flavour during basting. Oh yes, I love to roast a chicken :o) Of course I make sure we have good old Paxo stuffing on the side, and bread sauce. Yum!
Well done to you for roasting your own, if it's something you don't normally do.
You've made me hungry for chicken now, and I'm having a veggie day today! xx
Looks delicious! We get roasted chickens at Costco and they're pretty hard to beat. Oprah gave one to every member of her audience when she shopped at Costco that one day. I used to always roast them on a Farberware rotisserie. Have a great rest of the week! (((Hugz)))
Nothing better than a roasted chicken. So easy to do and healthy for us. Your chicken looks perfect.
Hope you are staying warm and cozy on this rainy day. ~ sarah
Your chicken looks delish! I roast one at least once a week!
Manuela
Your chicken looks great. I haven't roasted a chicken in ages either. I do buy fresh cut up pieces to cook. But for a working mom, the already kind sure helps! Hugs
About a year ago my DH and I treated ourselves to a Rotiserie. We LOVE it. It sits on the kitchen island and just about once a week I cook a whole chicken. I love it! It's so easy and we can make a couple meals from one chicken.
Your chicken looks YUMMY!!!
Delicious! It look fabulous and very healthy. We are trying it this weekend for sure. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)
Post a Comment