Book Club last night was a whole lotta fun :-) I mentioned that our host would be doing some Afghan treats, so I thought I would share with you all, what they were. She took the trouble to look up online some traditional recipes to have as snacks and I managed to remember the names so I could search for info on them and tell you about them.....Asabia el Aroos (Brides Fingers) These are an Afghan dessert made with filo pastry and filled with sugar and pistachios,(with a similar taste to Baklava) and as you can imagine they are rolled into a long finger like shape. I was trying to find a picture of these online but the only one I could find was this link on Foodnetwork.com Not exactly the same recipe - Emeril has stuffed his with dates as well as the nuts, but you get the idea - Mmmm, so delicious!
Bachuk? I'm sure this is the name Sharon told me (I even asked her to spell it) when we were eating little triangular pastry parcels of meat and cheese, but I cannot find reference to it anywhere on the web.
What I did find was recipes for 'Samboosak' which were the same thing, although in this picture they didn't create a triangle. These kind of reminded me of Samosas (probably are the same) as they can be filled with vegetables, or meat or cheese. Very tasty!Naan Bread Now this totally surprised me for the simple reason I have been searching for naan bread ever since I moved to the States and found one of my favorite 'indian sauces' here (comes in a jar) made by Patak!
I have never been able to find the bread here! Sharon advised me that she bought it 'frozen' at our local HEB grocery store. Well of course I was straight down there today looking for it - didn't find it :-( I have an email in to Sharon as I type this asking which store exactly did she go to, and what aisle/section did she find it. I could not find it in the frozen bread section. Now that I know it's here, I won't rest til I buy some. With that in mind, I did pick up some of this . . . . .
Ahhh yes, it will be Indian Take-out (at home) one night soon in our house :-)So that was the 'treat's we had, along with some not so traditional cheese and crackers, and cheese and watermelon kebabs, and wine ;-) - but all very yummy and lots of fun. The discussion we had about the Afghan culture and the book itself was very lively and interesting. This is the only night I go out each month now, and I really look forward to it, and really enjoy it. Oh, and there were 10 of us there last night (including 2 new members), the most we've ever had at one meeting! Did I mention it was lots of fun?
Our next month's read is Peace Like A River by Leif Enger.
Our next month's read is Peace Like A River by Leif Enger.
6 comments:
Don't know if you have Giant stores in TX but that's where I get my Naan bread from - yumm!
yum, love Naan bread. I can't believe it isn't easy to find over there! Hope you can find it soon, Indian just isn't indian without nann on the side. And onion bahjis. mmmmmm
thanks for the link you sent me, I visited and left a comment. Partly because I wanted to say hello, but also because I was getting really irritated reading some of the stupid comments, some of which were putting down England. I wasn't having that! I wasn't controversial, but I made a very valid point.
did you ever get that email? I copied and pasted and sent it again, so I'm hoping you did!
got to go. Have a lovely Saturday xxx
Oh I am so glad you had a good time!! That really sounds like fun!! Enjoy!!
Have a nice weekend!! ((BIG HUGS))!!
I forwarded the email again, this time from my MSG email, to see if that works. xx
just got back from the post office. SK March is on it's way :O) xx
ok, it's ridiculous that my emails aren't getting to you! Yes, I have tried that email address. Yours get through to me, so here's what I would suggest.
email me over the backgrounds/graphics you want to have on your diary. Then - and only if you are happy to do so - include your login info for both here and your geocities site. Then I can upload the graphics and add to your diary. After that you can follow what I have done, or I could make an html page in your geocities site explaining exactly what I have done, which you could find in your file manager. does that make sense?
I'll leave it with you, decide if this is a good idea and then hopefully the email thing will sort itself out. I'm going to just hit reply to the one that's just come through to see if you get that or not.
:O)
xx
Post a Comment