I'm not a tea drinker! I know, surprising considering I'm 'English', but for some reason I've never liked the taste and never drank it when I was little nor when I got older.I've often wished I liked it and love the idea of tea parties and afternoon tea. So yesterday I did something I've never done before. . . . I had 'afternoon tea'! It was an herbal tea, Celestial Seasonings - Raspberry Zinger, to be exact. And it was really rather nice. I sat out on my deck and did a little reading while I drank it, and as you can see from the photo I used the most prettiest cup and saucer I own (Sue, do you recognize it?) :-)
I'd like to get in to the habit of having a quiet moment in the afternoons and trying some different teas. Perhaps I might be brave enough to try 'real' tea! This might be a question Sadie (or some other tea lover) can answer, but if a novice like myself wanted to try a nice tea, is there any particular one I should start with? Other than Tetley tea or PG Tips (the brands I'm most familiar with from home) I have no idea what to try.
It's windy here today but still very sunny and very hot. Yesterday it got up to 101 degrees :-/ I envy those who are already feeling the cooler days of Fall.
8 comments:
Hi Denise! I won that book- The 13th Tale" in a Costco giveaway. It's a signed copy. Haven't had time to read it. True, I keep so busy! Doing what I don't know!?! :lol: I am a big tea drinker. I brew a pot everyday at lunch. I don't use bags- I get loose Yorkshire Gold tea that Jackie got me drinking. I buy it in big 3 packs now from Amazon.com. I hate flavored teas so I'm probably not the best to suggest one for you. Can't go wrong with a good Darjeeling. Do you have a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf there? That's a good place for teas. (((Hugz)))
Hi Denise, what a nice idea & a pretty cup. If you want to start with mild tea, you should try some Darjeeling then you could try a nice Assam but it is better with milk. Ceylon is nice too but Darjeeling is the lightest & it's the champagne of teas :) It's the way I got to love tea, Chinese tea isn't my cup of tea.
Thanks so much for your thoughts, I really appreciate. Hugs
Your afternoon sounds like it was wonderful. I am a tea drinking but only in the winter.
Hey D! Yes, I do recognize that cup & saucer - hee hee Glad to see you enjoying it ;-)
My favorite tea is Earl Grey in varying types: Vanilla Earl Grey, Cream of Earl Grey (loose tea that I get from a nice little tea house) and plain Earl Grey. Twinings is my favorite store bought tea brand. Do you have Twinings down in the States? I just found a new yummy one too - Vanilla Bean Black tea. I never steep my tea the full 5 minutes either - I prefer my tea rather weak with no sugar/milk.
Enjoy your quiet afternoon teas! I'll sit down and join you, thinking of you as I do ;-)
Hugs xo
Hi Denise,
I love tea... and I am not picky, any will do. I like ice tea in the summer and hot tea in the winter (there's a shock). I do love the idea of tea in the afternoon... the concept of stopping and taking time out. I think I will try to adopt that idea along with you.
You would envy me here in Seattle. We have been feeling the fall, although they say we will have some sun for a few days. But the sun, the cool mornings, and some trees are changing color... all of these are signs that it is upon us here. HUGS
pretty cup. I'd always say go for twinings tea if you can get it, it has a more gentle and delicate taste than PG tips and Tetley and the rest. (we even have one that's called 'builders' tea, which is meant to be stronger. I've not tried it so I can't comment!). I think you'd like Early grey if you enjoy the fruit teas. It's got a light but very noticable and refreshing lemon flavour (bergamot, if you want to be precise). I really love it, and it even makes the cupboard smell lemony. You need a tiny tea pot for one, so you can really make it a proper ritual and make it feel as if you are doing something special for yourself. That's what I do. I very rarely eat afternoon tea, usually just have a brew on it's own around 4, but sometimes I don't bother with an evening meal and instead have egg & cress sarnies (crusts cut off) and a fab cake to go with my tea. That is a huge treat in my eyes. The 'Ritz London afternoon tea' has reignited my love of tea - not that it had gone away or anything - and I loved reading how they make their sandwiches for the Ritz each day, out of large loaves of white and brown bread, that are then turned into delicate three layered sarnies.
Sorry for your hot weather! It is so lovely here already. Ok, we didn't have summer past August, but there was some sunshine and the temperatures were warmer. Twice this week I've needed to put on my raincoat, and humbug has had her buggy snuggy zipped back onto the pram. I love it!
I've waffled on, so time I made a move. No post from me today, so not to worry about visiting me. xxxxx
Hi sweetie,
I'm so pleased you took a quiet moment to relax with a nice cup of tea. I am not much of a tea drinker really, as I love my coffee, but if I do have tea, it's usually Twinings breakfast tea. It's just right I've found. I also have a nice little glass teapot that filters out those little tea leaves. Anyway....enjoy. I'm not into fancy or herbal teas at all, so can't help you there.
What happened to the new week...it's nearly over already. Hope it's been a good one. What colour did you paint your bathroom?
Big huggles. xx
Hi Denise, a quiet personal tea time sounds delightful. Like you though I have never cared for the taste of tea, even most of the flavored ones. I hope you find one that you truly like and the cup is beautiful. I'll be praying for your mum. I know how hard it is for the aged to regain strength after a hard illness and to be honest some never do. You're being upset at not being there is ok. I wasn't able to be close to my mom either, even here in the states and was upset I wasn't there when she passed away. But God is in total control my friend so just let go and let God, it will work for good. Love you! ~hugs~
Post a Comment