Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Soup of the Week!


I haven't had a chance to mention that I tried another soup last week! This one is from the Soup magazine I bought. I was browsing through it one day to see if there was any recipe that I could make without having to go out and buy ingredients for. . . I saw this one and thought I'd give it a try, I had everything in that I needed.

It's 'creamy ham and asparagus'. I just so happened to have some asparagus left from my meal the night before (remember Jason was away so I got to cook the foods he doesn't like, salmon and asparagus) :-) I also had some diced ham in the freezer.

Here's how mine turned out. . . .

The recipe follows for anyone that might like to try it. I really liked how it turned out, very tasty, very creamy, and I had it all to myself! Kristen didn't want to try this one, too many big pieces of veg floating around for her liking.

Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup
1 1/2 cups fresh asparagus cooked(cut in 1" pieces)
1 medium carrot, julienned
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
1 jar (2 1/2oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 cup half and half cream
salt and pepper to taste

Saute carrots in a saucepan with butter for 3-5 mins; add onions and saute 2 mins longer or until tender. Stir in flour, gradually add milk. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 mins. Add broth, ham and asparagus.
Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil. Add salt and pepper, garnish with parsley.


7 comments:

Danna said...

Hi Denise,
Ooooo, that looks good, even at 7 am in the morning. You are certainly getting me in the mood for soup etc. It is really cool here this morning.

Oh, BTW, I have decided to put tea into my daily life. Is tea about 3 pm? HUGS

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Denise! Stopping to say hi and see what’s new in your li’l corner of the world. Seems like you have been real busy. The soup looks yummy, I love asparagus, maybe I'll try it. :) Hope you have a great middle-of-the-week. Huggles.

Anonymous said...

Hi sweets,
This soup sounds delicious, I'll be back for the recipe as I think my family would love it. Can I ask what half and half cream is? Is it thinned down cream maybe? Also, how many does this recipe feed do you think?

I keep meaning to ask you, how are your eyes now? Would you say you're 100% pleased with the result? Do you need to use eye drops or anything?

You have a great day. It's 8.30pm and I'm in bed already.

Big hugs, and with love.

Tammy said...

Hi Denise!
Just wanted to stop in and wish you a blessed Wednesday. Big hugs!

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! The soup looks yummy altho it's not soup weather here. I think that recipe would also work well with the salmon and asparagus.

I agree that Cloris is doing fantastic just to be spinning on high heels but her shaking her "coconuts" makes me want to hurl! :lol:

Tracey said...

Hi Denise! Oh that soup looks and sounds delicious! Plurk is like a chat room and you can visit as much or as little as you want. It's fun so if you get a chance take a peek. Enjoy your evening. ((BIG HUGS))

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, a lovely combination, I did laugh when I read that you got to cook all the things he doesn't like, I do that too.