Friday, July 15, 2011

Book Club Friday & Wanna Swap?!!


You all know how much I love books, so I thought I’d join in again with Heather’s Book Club Friday this week, even though I’m still reading the same book I mentioned last week - ‘Loving Frank’ by Nancy Huron.  Book club meeting is next Thursday so I should be finished with by then. In hindsight, I’m rather enjoying the book, and just out of curiosity I Googled Frank Lloyd Wright’s house which is talked about in the book – called Taliesin. Have you heard of it? Seen it? Wow, what an amazing looking structure! Google it if you’re curious ;-)
So this week I thought I’d review a book I read a few months ago for Book Club.



Here’s the synopsis:  It's the beginning of a lazy summer in 1950 at the sleepy English village of Bishop's Lacey. Up at the great house of Buckshaw, aspiring chemist Flavia de Luce passes the time tinkering in the laboratory she's inherited from her deceased mother and an eccentric great uncle. When Flavia discovers a murdered stranger in the cucumber patch outside her bedroom window early one morning, she decides to leave aside her flasks and Bunsen burners to solve the crime herself, much to the chagrin of the local authorities. But who can blame her? What else does an eleven-year-old science prodigy have to do when left to her own devices? 
This is the first book in a series of 4 (so far, actually the 4th book is due for release this November!).  Not one of my favorite books! To me, reading about a ‘kid sleuth’ as Flavia is labeled, seems rather disconcerting.  I mean seriously, who lets an 11 year old kid go off to solve a murder on her own?!  And the fact that she is only 11 made me feel like this should be more like a novel for younger readers, yet it obviously wasn’t.
Still, in saying all that I did find myself not wanting to put the book down (like all mysteries, I can’t wait to get to the end to see ‘whodunnit’!) and the meeting we had about it was fun (as always). That’s what I love about being in a bookclub. You get to hear other opinions about the characters and plot, which sometimes lets me see the book in a whole different light.
SO, who’s up for a SWAP? I would like to send this book on to someone else that would like to read it, in exchange for another book that I would like to read ;-)
Top of my list is:
 
OR
 OR

OR

 Or, if you have a book you think I might like to read, and you would like the Flavia de Luce Mystery, then just send me an email: denise at deniseschulz dot com

Also for anyone that is on GoodReads.com you can find me under that email address and I would love to be added to your ‘friends’.
I was going to add ‘Wine’ to the title of this post (Cheryl and I will be trying two new wines tonight ;-) one is a ‘chocolate dipped strawberry wine!!!) but I’ll leave that for the next post.

Strange, I couldn't post this using Live Writer, so went to Blogger to post, but Blogger won't let me leave spaces between the paragraphs? I hope it's not too hard to read!
Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Kimberly said...

I don't have any of those books you would like to read. I am reading Susan Wiggs right now. I joined Paperback Swap a few years ago and get some of my books from there. Hope your having a good weekend.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

I read Something Borrowed but already passed it on. Sorry! But please keep us posted on the books - I am always looking for a good read!

lil desiqua said...

Something Borrowed was just ok...similar to the movie. Also, just so you know, I'm a member of PaperBackSwap.com, in which you can swap either hard or soft cover books for free! I highly recommend the site- good luck!

Heather said...

That does sound kinda weird that the child would be solving the murder!

Thank you for linking up again!

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! I'm behind on reading and finally just got to finishing Mini Shopaholic. I started another Sophie Kinsella book that was one I started but never finished- Remember Me. Guess I forgot it! ;) Enjoy the week ahead! (((Hugz)))

sadie said...

Just wanted to stop in and wish you a lovely week.

Judy said...

Hi Denise! I have heard about Frank Lloyd Wright's home - I think I saw it on HGTV once, & it was increible.

I always enjoy reading about your book club. The book sounded good, although you are right - what 11 year old would set off to solve a murder??

Hope you have a wonderful week Denise. Hugs!