Monday, November 23, 2009

Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes



Tuesday + + I know I posted this recipe when it was Monday, but I'm linking to Tasty Tuesday and TMTT so others might be able to use it if they need to at their Thanksgiving Dinner :-)


A few of you have asked me to share the recipe for my make-ahead mashed potatoes. I can't take credit for these, I've seen a few other versions of this online, but this recipe was given to me a few years ago by my dear friend Heather. I love making these at Thanksgiving and Christmas, and even Easter. When I was growing up in England we didn't have sweet potato casserole, so although I enjoy that at our special family gatherings now, I always still love fluffy mashed potatoes too, that's why I make these. And what I love about them is I can make them the day before, pop them in the fridge then just heat them up the next day. It's one less thing to make on the special day:

Ingredients:

5 lbs. potatoes
1 8oz package(block) cream cheese
1 cup half and half
1/2 cup butter(1 stick)
1 tsp onion power
1 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp regular salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Cook and mash the potatoes with all of the above ingredients. (add the half and half slowly as you may not need the whole cup if you think it's getting 'too soft')
Place in a greased 3 qt dish (I usually use my 13 x9 glass dish), sprinkle with paprika if desired and bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. To make ahead simply place the dish in the fridge, then the next day bring to room temperature and pop in the oven for 30 minutes.

I don't have a picture to share right now, but I'll be making these on Thursday this week, so I will take pictures then, and hopefully post this on my cooking blog.

11 comments:

Darylynn said...

Well how could you go wrong with those ingredients! :) Have you ever had twice baked potatoes? Jeff's dad loves to make those. We have both mashed potatoes and yam casserole on Thanksgiving! Not to mention rolls- lots of starches! Enjoy the week ahead! (((Hugz)))

Sherrie said...

Hi!
Sounds really yummy and easy to do. I'll have to give this a try. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life

sadie said...

:O) I always make my mash a day or two ahead, it's usually sitting in our fridge. Bill is a mashed potato addict!

Forgot to say yesterday that I always remove comments when I take a proper break, so I can totally forget about the blog and not check in at all. I'm still popping around doing visits though.

Have a good Tuesday. You'll be busy this week, with K's bd and Thanksgiving.
x

Elizabeth said...

What a great post, your mashed potatoes recipe sounds delicious. I stopped by to wish you & your family a happy Thanksgiving. Happy birthday to Kristen too, hugs

Sharing with Sherri said...

Hi Denise,

Your recipe sounds delish, and I just love recipes I can make ahead of time for Thanksgiving, alot less stress on the big day!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your sweet message!

Hope you have a very enjoyable Thanksgiving!!

Hugs,
Sherri:)

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! I got the food poisoning from the uncooked turkey juices. I must've had it on my hands and touched my mouth. You know how you're supposed to not use the same cutting board when you cut up chicken or poutry? It can be on your kitchen surfaces. So, be careful! ;) Wait till you see tomorrow's photo of Ryan... what a week he's having! (((Hugz)))

Clueless_Mama said...

Denise that you so much for sharing this with us. I really wanted this recipe. Mashed potatoes are my favorite.

Unknown said...

GREAT!!! recipe for mashed potatoes. I'll have to try adding cream cheese to my potatoes. YUMMY!!!
Geri

Darylynn said...

Happy Birthday to Kiki! Enjoy Thanksgiving! (((Holiday Hugz)))

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Kristen!
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you! Enjoy your turkey :)
Love & hugs xx

Melissa Miller said...

This sounds soooo good Denise!

We are still trying to eat healthy today. We bought a small turkey breast and are planning on making lot's of fresh veggies. The only splurge is our buttery spinach and artichoke casserole. Yummy! :)