Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Not So Smooth Smoothie!

I've been really impressed with Kristen's eating lately and my quest to get her to eat more healthy things is going well. I'm sure I'm not the only mom who struggles to get healthy food down their kids. Kristen wrinkles her nose at ALL veggies except broccoli and she even complains if I cut up an apple and make her eat slices of it (which I don't do as often as I should!). The only fruit she says she likes is watermelon! I blame myself for not being consistent when she was younger. If she told me she didn't like something I believed her and never really offered her that food again! Even before she could talk, if she made a face when I fed her something I assumed she didn't like it and moved on to something else for her to try, never thinking to offer her that same veggie or piece of fruit again.

But this past weekend after I'd made the pancakes (and yay, she's been eating them for breakfast ever since) she's somehow been more willing to try other things. I'm always talking to Kristen about good food and eating healthy and I mentioned to her that we should try smoothies so she can eat some fresh fruit in a way she might like it. She was eager to try this. On Saturday we got the makings of a banana and strawberry smoothie. Some bananas, frozen strawberries (I like using the frozen ones so it makes the smoothie cold and you don't have to use ice), Horizons Organic vanilla yogurt - we added milk to the blender and voila, a yummy smoothie. Kristen loved it :-)

On Sunday, she announced that she wanted for breakfast "some pancakes and a tropical smoothie"! I'd bought frozen tropical fruit also so this time I blended the mixed fruit with a yogurt and instead of milk I used orange juice. This is the tropical smoothie you see in the pictures, and as you can see Kristen quite liked this one too. She got 3/4's of this drank then told me next time I make it I shouldn't use orange juice because it was a bit too 'tangy'. I have to mention Kristen doesn't like orange juice on it's own.

Well to cut a long story short, we went out Sunday morning to the book store and then headed to a place to have lunch. We had to wait about 10 minutes for a table but all of a sudden Kristen said she didn't feel well? Before we even got a table we decided to leave and just go home. Two minutes later Kristen throws up in the car (thankfully we had a plastic bag near by)!!!!!! We get home a few minutes after that and she just lays down on the sofa. I instantly knew that the orange juice in the smoothie had not agreed with her. I'm assuming it must have been too acidic for her stomach? She ate some toast and drank some water and about 15 minutes after that she was right as rain again!

So, we may skip the smoothies for a little while! She ate a banana all by itself yesterday (which I packed in her 'disposable' lunch to take on her field trip) so I think we can say we are still making progress :-)

And, I'm happy to report that she had a great time on her trip and thoroughly enjoyed seeing The Wizard of Oz. She couldn't stop talking about it when she got home!



3 comments:

sadie said...

gosh, it is tricky to feed K fruit & vegetables then! I feel so lucky with humbug, she even gave a raw mushroom a try last week (spat it out, but tried it anyway!), and I am so proud at how easily she shovels down the veg that I cook for her. I think it helps that I more often than not, sit down and eat similar things to her at teatime, in fact, I'm sure that's a big part of it. It works well for us, I never know what time Bill will be home, so if I waited for him some evenings, I'd not eat until after 8, which is too late for me.

Sorry the smoothie made K sick. Yes, could well have been a bit too acidic for her tum, especially if she doesn't like orange juice on it's own.

Done another long walk today. I know from here to town it's either two or three miles, or 2 and a half, I can't remember exactly, but it's safe to say that if I walk into town and back, then I've done 4 miles. The walk today was probably of similar length, and to go back home I chose the route that took me up the hill. Oooof, hard, hard work! Gives the legs a good workout though. :O)

Righty Oh. Time I was off. Have a lovely day. xx
p.s couldn't see your photo today, it wasn't showing up!

Unknown said...

Sorry the OJ made her sick! You're doing a great job of getting her to eat new things. Wish I could do so well with Hannah! She's so picky. I'm really hoping that I can do a better job with Amanda!

Danna said...

Hi Denise,
I think we all have that situation when dealing with our kids. I even do it with Riley and Brady even though I can make them do things usually they don't want to do. It's a grandma thing.

I have got sick before on mixing milk and OJ together. No fun. So even now I keep them apart. I have got to like Jamba Juice now.
HUGS