Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Said the Bells of St Clements


Strange title for a blog post? If you're from England you may know where I'm going with this, and if you're not.... well, you'll soon see where I'm going with this :-)

Are we all ready for another Tablescape Thursday? Don't you just love Thursdays now? I know I'm not the only one! Since I found Susan's blog at Between Naps on the Porch I've discovered a new 'hobby' so to speak, and that's setting my table every Thursday (well actually Wednesday, so I can have pictures ready for Thursday) whether I'm planning a fancy dinner or not! The main goal for me is to have fun, AND not spend much money. Believe it or not, last weeks setting cost me zero dollars. So this week I thought I might 'splash out' a bit and spend some.

My inspiration this week? Remember the 'cheap' napkin rings I used just two weeks ago from Kohl's. When I looked at them closely they reminded me of lemons (even though they kinda look like yellow apples!). So lemons it was going to be. As you can see from the above picture, I started off with fresh lemons in a vase, placed my green tablemats (seen previously here), added the gold chargers, white plates AND my big spend this week....4 green plates from Goodwill, a mere $2.99!

Next I added the yellow napkins (same ones I used here) with the napkin rings, and added a tablerunner (if you can call it that. It's actually just some scrap material I had that has sunflowers on it).

Next (above) I added candle holders. These are a set of 5 from Kirklands (I think) and all different heights, but I still think they look good).

I wanted to add a splash of 'freshness' so I went out back and cut some branches from our Pomegrante tree and a few bunches of basil from the herb garden (which as you can see, if you enlarge the picture, has gone slightly to seed, ooh but it smells so good).

Below is taken from the other side of the table with my terracotta wall in the background... looking rather 'Tuscany' I think!






A close up of the green plate from Goodwill.

So, all the while I was setting this table 'oranges and lemons' kept going through my head. Oranges and Lemons is a very old nursery rhyme. We used to sing it when I was a kid and played a game where two people stood opposite each other with their hands raised high and together to form an arch. Kids would line up to go under the arch as we sang :

Oranges and lemons, say the bells of St Clements
You owe me five farthings, say the bells of St Martins
When will you pay me? say the bells of Old Bailey
When I grow rich, say the bells of Shoreditch

When will that be, say the bells of Stepney

I'm sure I don't know, says the great bell at Bow

Here comes a candle to light you to bed

Here comes a chopper to chop off your head


(at this point whoever was under the arch would be caught between the arms of the two kids as they swung their arms down.
You can read more about these old churches and the nursery rhyme HERE.


So, having just been out to the store this morning where I picked up some lovely mandarin oranges, I had to go get them and 'throw' some on the table :-)

What a beautiful splash of color they give it, don't you think? And total cost to 'play' TT this week.. $5.98, ($2.99 for the plates and $2.99 for a bag of lemons!) I bought the oranges to actually eat, and whereas I will eat the lemons too I did buy them specifically for the table.

I managed to get evening shots too :-) Don't you just love the glow of candlelight?




Hope you've enjoyed all the pics this week. I love to read your comments so don't forget to leave me a little 'hello' before you leave. I try my best to return all of your visits (if you have a link that is) :-)

32 comments:

Julie said...

Such a pretty table... I love yellow...I am having a give a way please do try to stop over...
xoxo
Julie

Deanna said...

The candlelight is a beautiful touch to an already pretty table setting!
Very nice,
d

ellen b said...

Very, very nice. I like how you built the table right before our eyes. Fabulous result!

A Refocused Life said...

First time visitor. Enjoyed your blog.

Signing Out said...

Denise, this is beautiful! I love all the layering of color!

Jane

Clueless_Mama said...

Okay, You are so talented. That is absolutely beautiful! Can you come and decorate my house on a budget?

Owlhaven said...

That's lovely! Maybe another life I'll have time to do such lovely things....

Mary, mom to many

Rettabug said...

What a delightfully entertaining post! I can just *hear* you singing that little nursery rhyme.
Your bargain plates are lovely & you did a great job on your table.

I liked seeing it grow to its final state instead of the opposite way I did my post last week, with the strip tease.

susan said...

Denise-You are getting GOOD at this! I love the way you did your napkins and the candle holders are just what I have been looking for. Deck the Halls will be a blog party on Tuesdays to showcase holiday decorations--what you have done yourself, visited, etc. I will post Mr. Linky on Monday nights in December.Hope you'll join the party. Watch for a post next week!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

zwow! Each photo adds more and more. Love your refreshing look.

Horhay said...

Hi Denise,
That looks choss man. We get nowt like that ower here. Just fish and chips out of the paper.
Keep up the good work and i will call back next week for another butchers.
xxxxx

Lori @ Dining Delight said...

What a "fresh" looking 'scape!! The yellow and green were terrific but when you added the splash of orange, it really came alive! Great pillar candleholders and the napkins are wonderful. I really like how you showed us step by step how you designed the table - it helps to draw your eye to each addition. Happy TT!

DD

Martha said...

A very lovely table.

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Totally excellent the way you started with the basic and then embellished. The end result is gorgeous!

Richella Parham said...

This looks quite nice! What a good combination of various elements to make such a pleasing tablescape. I think you'll be very glad you bought those green plates!

I'm glad to know about the nursery rhyme. Heretofore, I had only ever heard it quoted in a couple of books, including 1984 by George Orwell, I think. Love the title of your post!

Pinky said...

I love the yellow and green table but also loved that you added the oranges...they really POPPED! This is so pretty and I love that it is inexpensive!!!! If you get a chance please take a peak at my table! Thanks!!!! Pinky PS, LOOOOVE the napkin rings....I have a THING for napkin rings:):):)

Maureen said...

Very, very nice! I enjoyed watching you build the tablescape through the progressive photos.

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Wow! You have the exact candlesticks I would love to have and still haven't found! I checked Pier 1 thinking they would have them for certain..but nope. Not there either. I will keep searching.
Your table is wonderful and even more so with all the candles lit. Lovey!!

Melissa Miller said...

Denise this tablescape is truly gorgeous! I really love the centerpiece and the pretty night pics! ~Beautifully done.

Thank you very much for your encouragment on my last post.
It's great to have blog friends like you. I really appreciate it.

~Blessing, Melissa :)

nannykim/ spindle cottage said...

Really pretty--love those lemons! I do like the candle holders and they do give it a tuscany feel;-).
It looks really awesome by candle light!

Kat said...

HI Denise what a pretty table setting. I esp like the evening view. Have a great weekend. Hugs

Heartfelt living said...

Hi Denise,
I really love how you layered everything. It looks just perfect and the candle glow only adds to its lovely feel.
Hugs,
Karen

Tammy said...

I love all the pictures, Denise! I sure wish that I was crafty like you. Maybe I need to just start playing, huh? Big hugs!

Julie said...

Wow, clever you! Love seeing what you're going to do each Thursday, and they are always wonderful. I even remember singing Bells of St Clements! That makes me sound ancient! I'm sure a lot of our nursery rhymes here in Australia are English. Hope you have a great weekend sweetie,
big hugs. xx

Sue said...

Very fresh! I like it!

Have a great weekend D!

Hugs

Jane said...

Your table is so lovely! I truly enjoyed the step by step photos as you built the design. And I love your thriftiness!!! Your centerpiece is so pretty...
Jane (artfully graced)

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

That is a gorgeous tablescape! Love the centerpiece!
I saw your comment on my blog. I did not use polyurethane on my shelves. I always use a paint with a "satin" finish for a little shine. I didn't need the polyurethane because the shelves won't be getting much wear and tear. But if I was painting a table that we would use everyday, I would use poly. Just use a poly with a "low gloss" finish. I had a table that I painted black and then covered it with a high gloss poly, and I didn't like the results. Really cheap looking.
Can't wait to see your project!
Traci

Julie said...

Love the table scape! Have a great weekend :) Love & hugs xx

A Refocused Life said...

Denise,
Thanks for visiting my blog. I agree, the attic space looks so "a room of my own" get-way space. Someday I might try a DIY...it's just the attic, so it doesn't have to be perfect.

Its So Very Cheri said...

Be sure to come by tonight around 9pm (Eastern time) for the announcement so you don't miss out. I promise-it good-really really good.
Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! It was fun seeing your table unfold! Great job! Lemons always are so fresh and lovely. The game sounds a lot like London Bridges which I'm sure you know, too. :)

No baby news yet but I did add your guess to the poll. (((Hugz)))

claudie said...

Hey friend Denise
I'm all puckered up now after your cute Tablescape lol
You did good girl.
Happy Thursday to you and little princess Kiki oh and Boo too.
I bet he can't wait for Hallowe'en!!!
Love Claudie
xoxo