
Melanie picked PW's Onion Strings for this weeks recipe. Let it be known that for some reason I have an even worse fear of frying with hot oil, than I do baking with yeast (see my post on Cinnamon rolls) so I wasn't really looking forward to trying this recipe! That's not to say I didn't want to eat the onion rings or 'strings' as PW calls them. I love onion rings but rarely will I eat them and I NEVER make them at home - I remembered why after making these ones!
It's a simple recipe though, first take a large onion and slice it very thin, then pour over 2 cups of buttermilk and let sit for an hour.
Then take two cups of flour, add salt and a little cayenne pepper. When you're ready to fry, add some of the onions to the flour to coat them, then tap off the excess flour before immersing in to hot oil!
this is the part I don't like, the oil always seems to splash me!
after a few seconds though they settled down and fried up nicely. I had burgers grilling on the grill outside but managed to keep an eye on these babies at the same time. It did take a few minutes for them to brown - not just a few seconds which I was expecting from what PW had said about watching them because they turn brown pretty quick. I did this in 3 batches.and voila. . . . here they are
I could have eaten the plate full but I resisted and I grilled burgers so we could 'top them off' with the onion. . . .
Verdict: I just love onion rings so these were a hit in my book, but would I make them again, probably not, not for a very long time anyway- the reason being is the whole house stinks of yucky oil after you've made them. I made these last night and I came in the house today and can STILL smell oil a little. The oil in the pan is always gross afterward too and I never know what to do with it. Jason said I just had to pour it down the sink, which I hate the thought of but had no other choice really. Most certainly delicious, Kristen loved them and she doesn't even like onions!! but not something I would ever make on a regular basis.
14 comments:
They look delicious but I know what you mean about frying things. I hate to clean up my stove top. I usually let the oil cool completely and then pour it in the trash. My family would rave over these. Have you ever had onion blossoms in restaurants? Yum! :-)
xoxo
Jane
Oh they look yummy! I fry onion rings once a year! It's that time again, think have to do it soon, yours look scrumptious. I know what you mean about the smell of frying hanging around way too long!
Nancy
Those look yummy! I love onion rings. One idea for you is to get a Fry Daddy and plug it up outside on the porch if you have outside outlets. Then your house won't smell, but you might have neighbors wanting to come and see what smells so good. I don't like to fry in the house either, so that's what we do for fish and such. Let the oil cool and then you can actually strain and put in a bottle to use again for something similar or pour in the trash. Carla
Hi Denise,
Oh those onion rings look so delicious! YUM!
Hope you are having a blessed day
love and hugs
It's so fun being able to compare the end result of your cooking and Melanie's cooking. Both of your onion strings look so good. I'd eat them any day but I agree about the grease smell in the house. I rarely, if ever, deep fry anything these days.
I love them too! I just put the oil back in the bottle and threw it away.
I love them made like this YUM! Way to go, now you can move on to donuts! Come say hi sometime :D
They look wonderful. I love onion rings but am not big on frying because I dislike the splatter mess on my cooktop. I'd love to go to someone else's house and have them though : )
Denise thanks so much for PW recipe. I love onion rings. Girl, we fry everything outside to keep the house from smelling....and my husband loves frying and grilling. We try not to eat fried foods too often but I am so trying this recipe. Looks yummo as Rachel Ray would say. Have a blessed day. Cindy
That looks like a yummy something I could contribute when hubby grills!
They do look delicious Denise! I know what you mean about the lingering smell of food though.
I received my pretty new towels from you today! That was really fast! I just love them. You are very talented. Thank you so much for your great service and product. I'll be sure and post about them and your Etsy shop very soon.
Have a great night. ~Melissa :)
I threw out my deep fat fryer because of the smell. But I never threw oil down the sink, it always went out with the rubbish.
Love onion rings, they look scrummy.
love your 'bistro' pics in previous post :o)
have a lovely week - well, what's left of it!
I give you credit for even trying it. I quit deep frying years ago because of what to do with the grease. If I want Onion Rings...I go someplace and buy them ready made!
I was thrilled to mention your shop Denise! I just love my cute towels. My hubby liked them too.
That is just wonderful that you sold everything already. I'm sure it will continue to be a success.
We don't have any special plans this weekend but next week Alex is off and we have some family time travels planned. It should be fun!
Have a great weekend.
~Melissa :)
Post a Comment