
A few months ago I saw a blog post about breakfast tacos. It was simply sausage and eggs cooked separately then spooned on to small fajita size tortillas with shredded cheese added - fold them in half then freeze them ready for a quick and easy breakfast. I wondered how PW's recipe compared because she cooks her burritos all together, cheese included! So this week that's what I chose from the cookbook.

Here's some of the ingredients. . . . I used diced potatoes with onions (Ree suggests using her homemade breakfast potatoes but I'll leave those for another recipe day!) HERE'S a link to Ree's recipe on her cooking site if you don't have the book and want to try these. Sometimes I find the recipes differ just a tad from the book, for instance her site says use 12 eggs, but the book said only 10. Not sure it makes that much difference, I still found there was plenty of egg in the mixture.
Brown the sausage and add in one red bell pepper
then add the potatoes
mix together the eggs, cheese, chives (which I happily picked from my herb garden!) and seasoned salt, then pour over the sausage mixture.

Here's some of the ingredients. . . . I used diced potatoes with onions (Ree suggests using her homemade breakfast potatoes but I'll leave those for another recipe day!) HERE'S a link to Ree's recipe on her cooking site if you don't have the book and want to try these. Sometimes I find the recipes differ just a tad from the book, for instance her site says use 12 eggs, but the book said only 10. Not sure it makes that much difference, I still found there was plenty of egg in the mixture.
Brown the sausage and add in one red bell pepper
then add the potatoes
mix together the eggs, cheese, chives (which I happily picked from my herb garden!) and seasoned salt, then pour over the sausage mixture.
Once cooked spoon the mixture on to large tortillas (top with more cheese if desired says Ree - so I did ;-), fold in the sides and roll the tortilla closed.
Verdict: The sausage mixture is yummy, I love the combination of sausage egg and cheese and I always love potatoes in my breakfast tacos so it was great that they were added too. The bell pepper was a nice addition. I would definitely make them this way again, but in hindsight I would just use small tortillas and fold them in half.The recipe says this makes 12 burritos but I only got 8 because I overstuffed them. That would have been fine if we were eating them all the same day, but when they are frozen they are pretty thick and you can't just zap them in the microwave for a 1 1/2 minutes like I do with the small tacos. I defrosted 3 of these over the weekend and 2 minutes in the microwave still had the sides piping hot but the inside just warm.
I'll make the mixture again but make small breakfast tacos - definitely a keeper though. I like how it's all made in the same pan instead of cooking the sausage then scrambling the eggs separately like I was previously doing.
What are we making next Mel?
I'm linking to Tasty Tuesday at http://beautyandbedlam.com/
and TMTT at http://blessedwithgrace.blogspot.com/


13 comments:
Looks good and it's got to taste better than those from the store! They'll come in handy for many times. Come say hi :D
Looks yummy. I finally bought the book the other day. I can't wait to cook something from it. Carla
It looks like you and Melanie are having a great time with this! Do you like having the book, or do you find yourself just looking up her recipes online?
This looks so delicious, can't wait to try it!
Smiles,
Carol
Looks good! I'd add the extra cheese too!
I love getting to compare the photos and posts with your version and Melanie's version. Such fun for me! You are very lucky to have a friend to cook with :)
Now I am feeling so hungry-this really looks very tasty!
Enjoy your day!
Hugs.
I really wish I could eat flour tortillas. Your burritos look great.
I am glad that you liked them. We did too.
My husband and I love to have breakfast burritos. I'm definitely going to have to start adding potatoes likes in this recipe. They look great!
I am going to have to spend more time on your blog...I love PW! You look just like her:) Well...your food...
These look really good! I am really enjoying my copy of PW's cookbook and her site. I posted my version of her salsa today.
I am a SAHM, hsing mom like Ree, but somehow she makes it sound so much more interesting than I do! Ha!
I have a very tiny meme on Friday's called "Finger-lickin' Good Recipes Friday." I'd love for you to join us sometimes!
God bless!
These look absolutely delicious! My husband loves breakfast burritos, but rarely takes the time to eat breakfast. These would be a great solution!
Post a Comment