Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sunday Musings . . . . April 25

Good Sunday morning to you all :-) I hope you've had a great week and are enjoying a relaxing Sunday. I wish I could say I was, but I decided to paint Kristen's room yesterday and I'm still finishing it off today! So, while I wait for paint to dry (literally), I thought I'd start my Sunday post and look back at the week we've had.

Sad news to start with... Kristen's little hamster Pikachu died on Tuesday :-( Remember a while back I took it to the vet because it was losing it's fur and I had to spend $70 on the visit plus meds - well she seemed to gain some of her fur back and was doing ok, but I'm guessing it was just old age that took her in the end. Kristen was sad when I told her and had a few tears later on, but she hasn't mentioned her since, even though we said we'd bury her but we still haven't gotten round to it because I've been so busy painting her room, and the poor little thing is still in a plastic bag in the garage!!

On to brighter news.... it was 'take your child to work day' on Thursday so at 1pm I picked Kristen up at school and drove her to her Daddy's office where she got to spend the afternoon learning about radars and having snacks with other kids and playing games. They had their fingerprints taken, a special security badge made (just like Daddy wears) and they didn't come home til nearly 6pm! Suffice to say she really enjoyed the afternoon and now can't wait to go again next year.... although she informs me she still wants to be a dog trainer when she grows up and not an 'engineer' ;-)

What's up with me? Well, I have a sinus infection yet again! I won't bore you with all the details but I've been to my ENT and am back on meds so I'm feeling fine, just have a lot of congestion on my chest etc! It hasn't kept me down this week though, so as I mentioned earlier, I started painting Kristen's room yesterday and am finishing that off today. I will share pictures some time next week - and if you're wondering... it's a 'Wolf' theme ;-)

See this? This is our brand new Farmer's Market that opened a few weeks ago (about 10 minutes from us) and that I only found out about last week. So guess where I was on Saturday morning?! I have always wished I could visit a farmer's market on a regular basis, but the closest one to us was about a 50 minute drive away and we've only been once. I was thrilled when I learned about this one. It's held in the parking lot behind our newest cinema from 9am til 1pm. I was told you have to get there early because by even 10.30am a lot of fresh stuff has been sold already.

Now I know we're growing our own veg again this year (or trying to!) but only the lettuce is ready right now so I went along to this to see what the farmers are bringing in right now. I got some fresh broccoli and cauliflower and tomatoes, and snapped a couple of photos on my phone while I was there. The place was crowded and I got there at 9.20am! I didn't stay long but I'll certainly go back again next week. There were other booths selling home made salsas and dips, goats milk soaps, flowers and herbs. There was even live music playing and a lot of people have their dogs with them. One lady was selling flowers in antique kettles and pots. I wanted to snap a picture but I thought she might think I was trying to capture her ideas so I could copy them later! It was a really nice place to wander around.

Well, I think the paint should be dry by now, ready for a second coat. You might not know this, but I actually hate painting... I like the part where I'm putting the room back together best, when I can 'pretty it up' and accessorize ;-) Hopefully I'll be doing that soon. Then I might get out in the garden later this afternoon and do a weekly update post on that too.

Have a wonderfully blessed day, and thanks for stopping by. I appreciate all of you who stop by to read and leave comments, you guys are the best and you make my day.

11 comments:

Erin said...

I always wanted to participate in take your kid to work day but my mom worked at my school (where's the fun in that?) and my dad worked at night so I wasn't allowed to go. bummer! We have 2 farmer's markets nearby one's open saturdays and one is fridays. You can get such good stuff and it's much more interesting than walking the aisle in HEB!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about the little hamster. I hate losing pets and hated it even worse when my girls were little.

Hope you feel better soon. I hate sinus issues and infections. Really zaps the energy.

What is a wolf theme? Maybe that will be in the post. I hope you have the bedroom together, link to Woo Hoo! Wednesday and share at the party.

Blondie's Journal said...

I hope the meds work and that you are feeling okay soon. I give you credit for tackling a big project while you are feeling under the weather.

Love the pics of the farmers market. I'm not sure when ours opens, but I am so looking forward to it!

So sorry about the hamster.

xoxo
Jane

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Sorry about the hamster and that you're not feeling well. Though you HAVE gotten a lot accomplished for someone not feeling well. I feel a little bit of a slacker, here! Hope the meds kick in soon and you are soon as good as new.
And lucky you on the farmer's market. We have a great farm that opens in June, but just a couple of sad little farmer's markets once a week here.

Southern Lady said...

Hey Denise, glad to hear that you are feeling better. I hate to hear about the hamster. You wanted to know if we use pesticides on our garden; we haven't had to use any yet. I don't intend to use any unless it is a last resort. My dad has always used a little seven dust on his plant's leaves before the veggies start developing, I guess I would if necessary. This is all new to us, so I'll keep you posted. Carla

Anonymous said...

Too bad about her hamster..even though I don't care for them much..we had one and it was always hiding in the house..somewhere! I too have been fighting a sinus infection, they must be going around. Our community is opening up a farmers market here too..so many tourist come through here in the summer time and this is the place of farmers! I want to see this room when it's done! Come say hi :D

Melissa Miller said...

Denise I'm sorry about the hamster. It's hard to lose any pet that we get attached too. I even cry when our fish die. Sigh.

I hope your feel better soon. sinus infections are terrible. Ugh!

Love the farmers market! How cool for you all. *Smiles*

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I love going to the Farmers Market. We have a great one in town every Wednesday and Saturday. You can buy some of the yummiest Maple Syrup there, and Maple Syrup Root Beer (love it, almost as much as butterscotch root beer which I buy there also). Tons of veggies. We have a fairly large Hmong populationt too and they grow wonderul veggies, but they also sell their Hmong Egg Rolls, which are shoot yourself and die for.

Darn it, Denise, now I'm hungry! You're not helping my diet, are you girl?!

Aimee said...

Hi Denise, found your blog through Darylynns and I've been following your cooking blog when I can because I visit PioneerWomans cooking blog all the time! :)

I'm so sorry about your daughters hamster. Poor thing. :(

Melanie said...

I am glad that Kristen didn't take the Hamsters death too hard. It is always hard on kids when 'something' dies.

I love the farmers market. I think that there is one here where we just moved and I am going to check it out. You will have your own veggies soon:)

Happy Monday.

sadie said...

sorry about the hamster :o(

I only just found out recently about a European market in town on a Saturday morning! It's food related and absolutely fantastic. There are stalls selling food from all over Europe, including massive frying pans of paella, and german BBQ's, baklava and all sorts. The smells as you walk along. mmmm. I mentioned it to my mum who said it was there every week. Did I know this? nope! I rarely go into town anyway, and very, very rarely on a Saturday. When Bill takes his two weeks off, I want to go and sample all of the goodies!

xx