Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Still shopping....

This week will just fly by, and before you know it Christmas Day will be here! I'm pretty much ready for it all, but I couldn't resist popping out to Target again today to get a few odds and ends :-) I only really needed a gift card but I picked another little gift up for Kristen from us, and also a little something from Santa! I bought myself this book - Water for

Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's the first of our Book Club picks for 2008. I've heard good things about it, so I'm looking forward to reading it over the holidays. Our meeting won't be until January 24th so I should have plenty of time to get through it.

I must admit I do start to look forward to January at this time of year. I'm always eager to start a new year and get back in to normal routines after the Christmas break. Kristen's last day of school is this Thursday so from then on my daily routine will be all to pot so to speak. Not that I've had much of a routine these past few weeks or since Thanksgiving for that matter. It will be nice though not to have to get up at 6am every morning. And I'll look forward to the next week of just pottering around the house, waiting for Santa to arrive :-) I'm happy to say that I don't really feel too stressed either. I'm not sure if Jason's cousin and his family are coming for Christmas dinner, and I would like to know sooner rather than later, but even if it's a last minute decision (on their part) I feel like I'm ready and prepared. The turkey will be big enough, we will also have ham. And I can make as much or as little of the sides as we need, I'll have everything in so that we can do that... so, no stress. I just need to keep plodding on with housework and I'll be all ready by the weekend.

Today I tackled our bathroom shower! What a workout! We have very hard water here in Texas which makes for a lot of soap scum and water buildup! If you don't stay on top of it and clean the glass regularly it's hard work getting it off - and of course I don't clean it nearly as regularly as I should. I also cleaned the oven today. I've been spoiled in the past with a self-cleaning oven in most of the homes we've owned - not this one! After trying to clean this one today I think I might be investing in a new cooker next year!

Well, I'll jump off here before I waffle on too much longer about nothing in particular. Don't want to bore you all to death. Have a great day.


5 comments:

Danna said...

Hey Denise, cheers for you in having things done so much and not feeling the stress of it all. Right now I am sitting at a high school waiting and writing on my Blackberry to pass the time. I wish so much that I could just take off and do some pther things to get my to do lists done. Oh here comes the darlings now. Bye

Anonymous said...

Denise, I've just started reading your blog so thought I would make myself known to you. I got interested in reading your chatty news after I picked you out from a whole list of knitting blogs I was looking at. I guess I was interested because I am English and I see that you also hail from the UK originally. My name is Sue, and I'm a little older than you are, with two grown up sons and one soon-to-be daughter in law. I live in Darlington in the north-east of England. Will continue reading your blogs, for a while at least; it's nice to have a bit of female 'company' as usually on an evening it's just me and my husband - with him watching football on TV as often as he can while I'm knitting or ironing! Good luck with the Christmas preparations. Sue.

Darylynn said...

Hi Denise! Received your lovely Christmas card today! All 3 of you look great! Thanks so much. I'm feeling pretty ready after a good shopping trip today, too. Just a few odds and ends. I'm looking forward to the next Survivor. James will be on it, I'm sure as he "wasn't available" for any of the morning shows the day after he was voted off... so he was already filming in Micronesia. He needs to play smarter this time. ;) (((Hugz)))

little miss violet said...

hello!
I know just what you mean. It's so nice to get back to normal after Christmas, even though it's my favourite time of year, I do look forward to the house looking neat, and not having to wrap present after present after present!

I'm making 'thank you' cards today. I am really rather pleased to think that I've got them all done and ready. Just need to add pink bows on the rest, but two are complete. :O) I'm showing off now!

Understand so much about the hard water. We are in a hard water area too, and the showers are a nightmare. I have got to get them cleaned by the weekend, because MIL will no doubt comment if they look misty. Ditto the bathroom. Yuck.

Hope you have a lovely Wednesday xxx

Tammy said...

Hi Denise! I'm glad you aren't stressed this year. I'm not either--knowing that we don't have to travel home on Christmas day is a huge relief! I'm planning to cook a nice prime rib dinner and just take it easy on Christmas Day. Christmas Eve will be a tad more hectic since we will have the candlelite service at church at 8:30pm. It's a short service, though, since they have another one at 10:00pm. I can't stay up past 10:00pm, so we opt to go to the early service. Have a great rest of the week sweetie. Big hugs!