Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Baby Steps

Now that school is back in I find myself thinking of all the things I want to get done around the house. During the summer I tend to let a lot of things slide, I enjoy lazy days just hanging out with Kristen, spending hours in my pj's having coffee and checking email. The only regular thing that continues to get done is laundry and grocery shopping!

That all changes this week. I love this time of year when the season starts to change, the mornings start to get cooler (actually they may have always been cooler but I was never up and out the door at 7am during the summer). It sure is nice to feel the temps in the 70's as we head out the door to school. Shame it doesn't last though. . . it will be another 100 degree day today!

But that doesn't put me off planning for Fall and getting back in to a routine while I'm at it, I just have to do it one step at a time. This week I bought a new 3-ring binder and have been printing out lists, lists and more lists of things I'd like to accomplish each day :-) The key to accomplishing these things is - 'staying home'! Honestly, if I could just stay home each day I'd get so much done, but I find myself itching to get out and browse shops, go grocery shopping, check out the craft stores and ooh and ahh over the Fall and Christmas decor! Yesterday I went to the gym and couldn't help going to Hobby Lobby afterward. I only spent $12 (on some sale items, which you'll see below) but it's $12 that would have still been in my purse had I not gone out of the house at all! So, I shall be making a concerted effort to stay home each day. Perhaps if I post on here whether I did so or not, it will help keep me accountable?

For outdoor Wednesday this week, I thought I'd show you the 'bargains' I got at Hobby Lobby yesterday. Their Garden stuff was on final sale at 90% off! There wasn't much left to be honest but I did find a couple of things that I thought would be nice in the garden. First these two wall plaques. . . .

Wanna take a guess at how much they were? OK, I'll tell you - originally $7.99 each, I got them for 79c each! Here's a close up of them. . . sweet aren't they?

Another bargain, I couldn't resist this little guy (even though his crown is broken, I figure a gold pen will cover that up just fine). . . .

OK, this guy was originally $27.99! Seriously, who pays that kind of money for a frog sitting on a ball? He went down to $13 then about $5, but I got him on clearance for - $2.79! :-) I like the idea of collecting frogs in the garden (I have two of them out in the front beds). I like to think of the acronym F.R.O. G when I see them, 'Fully Relying On God'

Still out in the garden, does anyone know what this flower is? I didn't plant it so I'm assuming it's a weed (although I've had wild flowers pop up before that I didn't plant either, one being the Texas Bluebonnet, which I would say is most definitely not a weed here).

It's growing up the netting where we planted the scarlet runner beans (which didn't produce any beans, I might add) and along the ground.

The name is on the tip of my tongue, I just can't think what it is right now! Anyone?
And of course, this little guy is always outside when I am. . . .

For more 'Outdoor' posts visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer. Have a great 'Hump' Day!


14 comments:

sadie said...

weed or not, it's very pretty.

Crikey, you got some bargains! I love it when I find something reduced then reduced then reduced to a total bargain prices. Like the little votive holders I found for 10p each! I still can't get over that price!

I'm like you when it comes to sewing patterns. I just can't get on with them. I think it's because I'm too lazy to follow them and get in such a mess. I much prefer to just make things up as I go along. That's why the 10 patterns at the back of the Seams to Me book are still in the pocket and haven't even been taken out! I'm sure one day I'll use a pattern properly, find it easy and then kick myself for not doing it sooner, but I really like to just try things out and see what happens. It's fun, and I find out what I'm capable of. :O)

I hoped it was going to be cooler here today, the rest of the country is covered in rain, but we've still got sunshine! We had some showers and sun last night, so saw a double rainbow and Bill said he heard rain during the night, but I'm not sure about that. I was up several times, and when I'm up I always look out of the window to get some air. I didn't see any rain!

Good going on the lists. Martha has brilliant print out ones, I printed a couple out last week and have them safely tucked away. That's partly why I was thinking about stocking up the larder, because one of her lists is about just that!

Have a lovely day. Wishing you cool weather soon.
xx

bj said...

I love your bargins and...I love HOBBY LOBBY..think i'll just go out there today! Thanks for the inspiration...

Anonymous said...

Is that flower possibly a morning glory. It looks like some my daughter planted and she called them a morning glory. It is very pretty whatever it is.

Great bargains.

margie said...

Denise, I'm pretty sure the flower is a morning glory, which, in my experience, DOES grow like weeds. Pretty weeds, though!

My name is Riet said...

NIce bargains and of course you needed to go to the gym. Hav a nice day

susan said...

I had to pop over and see what you had and, of course, see Boo! In my opinion your $12 was well spent-- a little reward for all those lists and going to the gymn. Love the FROG acronym

Darylynn said...

Sindee (Oklahoma) always mentions the Hobby Lobby. Wonder if that's a Southern states store? You definitely got some great steals! Does you hubby appreciate how organized you are? He must really be impressed with you! Just a quick hello while Ryan's napping! (((Hugz)))

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love your finds. I think I should get out and start sale shopping. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Lori E said...

Yes it is a blue morning glory. I know the white version is a very invasive weed and you will want to get rid of it. It will come back year after year up through the ground and any little snippet of the vine will sprout.

Amber said...

Hi,
Thanks for writing me.
~*~*~
Your flowers are really pretty!!!
Amber

Signing Out said...

Great bargains! It sounds like you're getting organized with your binders. I need to do something like that, too. I don't have any problem with the staying home part, just getting things done. :)

Jane

Karen said...

You got some great buys! I love finding bargains. I think your flower is a morning glory...and your doggie is VERY CUTE. Thanks for dropping by my blog!! Have a great evening, Karen

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I was going to say morning glory also. What a pretty color. We don't have a Hobby Lobby here :( Cute buys!

~Susan

Sue said...

When we moved into our place, our next door neighbor who we share a fence with, had morning glories that would peek over the fence onto our side. I loved them & missed them when she left. I should try & plant some next year.

You did get some good deals... I'm always amazed at the incredible deals in the stores down in the States. Ours never seem as good up here. Hmmm.