
I'm joining in with 'Outdoor Wednesday' this week. I thought it would help me keep my blog in a more 'organized manner' if I chose a day each week to share with you what's going on around the garden. I know I've shown you lots of pictures this summer of the veggies we've been growing but I thought it would be nice to show other things outside too. I took the camera out last night and took a few shots. . . .
I must admit, at the height of summer things are never as pretty and fresh looking as they were back in the spring. But by taking pics and showing the 'mess' out there, it rather motivates me to get out more and 'clean it up'! First up though is corn and beans! We planted this bed just after my sister left around June 25th. I know it will surprise her because nothing was in this bed when she left on June 22nd!!
Here's a close up of a corn husk already. . .
This is Lantana that I planted a couple of months ago. . . the orange and red tiny flowers are so pretty,
and this is the bed it's in. See what I mean about things not looking so good in summer! The weeds need picking and the mulch gets all full of dry grass when the yard is mowed!
Here's a picture of my herb garden... in sore need of a clean up too!
What you see mainly in this picture is basil to the right (at the front) and mint in the pot on the left, then behind those is thai basil. I don't use this much but it smells wonderful. There's also another pot of mint just behind that (this one is spearmint, the one at the front is peppermint and smells like candy canes!). You can also see marigolds. They got so huge I had to pull 3 plants out last week, they were covering the rosemary and oregano back there!Before we head around to the front yard, here's a picture of the pear in our pear tree :-)
There's a few on there, but this one's the biggest. We've never had fruit off this tree yet, I'm hoping this doesn't get eaten by the birds before it gets ripe!So, here we are at the front door. . .
rather messy looking right now! Kristen's toys need putting away and well the rest of it looks pretty bare (like I said, I think posting here each Wednesday may well help me get this place looking a little prettier).
I made the wreath on the door for summer this year, but I think it will make it all the way through Fall because of the orange colors. I may add some berries or fall leaves to it later.And lastly, I like this wall decor I bought last year but only finally hung up this year next to the entrance....
Of course the flowers aren't real. There's no way I could keep real plants alive in this heat in such small pots, they dry out so quickly!So there you have it, my 'outdoors' this week. I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
I must just mention that my friend Cheryl and I had a super time at The Melting Pot on Monday night. I had booked our table on line and where it asked if I had any special requests for our Maitre'd, I mentioned that it was my friend's birthday and her first time there, was it possible to put a candle in the cheesecake when they served up the chocolate fondue dessert? I wasn't sure if they would, so I just thought I would ask. Well, not only did they put the candle in the dessert when they brought it to the table, our waiter wished Cheryl a happy birthday as he seated us and handed her a little card. And right at the end of the meal, the manager/maitre'd came to our table with a little tray and two glasses on it (with strawberry slices on the glass, I might add) and said "I understand we're celebrating a special day today" and gave us both a complimentary glass of champagne :-) We both had a great time and have decided to try and have dinner out once a month so we can sit and chat without having kids or husbands around vying for our attention!
18 comments:
I agree, Summer is great for reaping what you've sown, but things can look so straggly by then too. My toms are still 'ok'. Green and nice looking, with green toms on them (will they ever ripen!!!), but in a few weeks when/if they have ripened and I've scoffed them, I'll be itching to pull them out and get rid of them. I love having my Autumn tidy up of the garden. I've already done it on my roses, because one was looking a mess and another had got 'the rust' so needed sorting out before it spread.
Love the colour of your front door. And the wall shelf thingy is really nice.
Time I was off. Pacing around waiting for my delivery to turn up!!!
:O)
xx
Denise, your gardens look awesome! I know for me, it's the heat of the summer, and I don't feel like weeding. However, even when I do, it seems they come right back a few days later. We've had a lot of rain, so maybe that's why.
I just love your door wreath and hanging planter. The front of your house looks so inviting!
Jane
I love your pictures, your home looks lived in. My kids are grown and gone and I miss the bicycles around the front door and all of their stuff messing things up. Your herb garden is my favorite and the pear in the pear tree. Thanks for the look. Hugs ~cindy s~
It's good that your plants still look healthy inspite of the extreme heat. I know it is so hard to keep everything watered. It's in the 90's here, as well.
Thanks for visiting my blog. You are welcome anytime.
Your garden looks good to me! I can't believe how much the bed has grown in just a little over a month!
Yes, the 100 degree heat was awful with no a/c. I am glad we don't have to endure that on a normal basis. I don't enjoy extreme heat anyway, but it is bearable at least when you can go inside to the cool a/c!
Your soup sounds yummy indeed! A great way to use up some zucchini!
Have a great Wednesday. Love & hugs xx
Hi Den!
I love all your pictures. I am so excited about getting down to Austin--I can't stop thinking about it. I am just amazed at how open Dan is to the move. Just keep praying that God truly is in this. At any rate, I will see you in a month and then I can see your pics in real life. I can't wait! Love ya!
Total opposite here in Canada Denise.
Rain and more rain everyday. My tomatoes aren't even pink yet, let alone red.
Love your blog. Happy OW
Love Claudie
xoxo
I like the herb garden best! My garden is in dire need of weeding. I'll have to get to that sometime too. Thanks for sharing your pics.
Christi
This is the first summer I remember that I have not had to water constantly--rain, rain, and more rain. But rain brings weeds as well as flowers :) Wish I had your corn!
Oh I always have great intentions in the spring. Everything is full of promise and I weed everything. Then I weed it again, then it gets hot and I don't want to weed it but they keep growing and then it is time for a big party and I regret not keeping up with the weeds, then I am in the scorching sun or the pouring rain trying to clean things up before the party and then..................the suckers keep growing but I can't even ripen a tomato. Grrrrrr.
There is nothing like taking pictures around your house to help you see what you want to change. The camera shows us what we don't see with the naked eye. Good job, keep it up.
Hi Denise your garden is looking really good but I think you need me to come over and help you do a bit of weeding. If I could snap my fingers and be there I surely would.I'm pleased you had a good night with Cheryl and I'm pleased you are going to go out every month, I know I like to get out with my friends and I also love girlie nights in but I don't get to do that very much. Hi Jason just wishing you a Happy Birthday hope you have a great day and hope you got your card xxxxxxxxxxx
Welcome!
First, I wanted to comment on your evening out. Such service! It makes things extra special when the staff goes out of their way to do things right. I think a girls night out once a month is a great thing. I did that with my friend in Memphis.
Your flowers and garden are doing well. I do know what you mean about summer, and I sort of get tired of watering and dead heading, too.
Mama Bear
Hi Denise! Your garden still looks great. We have the same orange and yellow lantana. It does well in the heat. I'm sure that corn will taste great! I think you have a pretty green thumb! I love that photo of Kiki- so pretty! Happy Birthday (again) to Jason. (((Hugz)))
Your garden is looking much better than mine. But this was our first year having a garden. Thanks for visiting my blog & leaving me a comment.
WOW!!
I'm totally having garden envy!!
Ours started out real well, then after a long dry period and then a HUGE downpour - everything dried up or exploded..but that's ok.. living here in FL allows me to have two seasons of trying.. LOL.
Beautiful pictures and a beautiful home/garden!
Hi Denise! Your garden looks so pretty and I love Lantana! So easy to grow. Sounds like a fun birthday for Cheryl. ((BIG HUGS))
Your Gardens look beautiful and I just love the pear and herbs. Thanks for visiting my blog its my first Outdoor Wednesday post also.
Your farm has grown SO much... I am in SHOCK! lol Love the little pot holder thingy by the front door. Again... something else I missed on our visit... guess I was just too busy looking at YOU! ;-)
Love ya xo
Post a Comment