Sunday, August 23, 2009

Galveston 09

I thought I'd share some more pics of our trip to Galveston before a new week gets started in 'Blog Land'. Tomorrow I will share photos of the bag I made in my sewing class yesterday, so that's why I'm posting the vacation pics tonight. I've never been to Galveston before so I didn't really know what the area was like prior to 'Ike'. Despite the fact that we had a fun time with our friends, the after effects of that terrible storm were still visible and it was rather sad to see. This building for instance. . .

totally boarded up and abandoned on the beach. I'm not sure what it used to be, a restaurant perhaps? And this hotel across the street .....

all closed up with a 'For Sale' banner hanging on it. But not to dwell on the 'down' side of things, here's a few more fun pictures.

The kids loved every minute we spent on the beach (and so did we). . . .



I was thrilled to see there was a Rainforest Cafe there. The nearest one to us is in San Antonio (2 hours away) and we didn't get to go in it when I took my sister there back in June because the wait was over 1 1/2 hours to be seated! I also wanted to take Kristen and of course she wasn't with us in San Antonio! So going out to dinner here was a must :-)




So, that's our Summer 09 over with and school starts back tomorrow. It's been another great year but I'll be glad when the heat dies down. 100 degrees here today, yet again! I've said it before and I'll say it again. . . . I can't wait for Fall!

4 comments:

Julie said...

Hey sweets,
I really enjoyed seeing Galveston again, but what a shame it hasn't recovered yet. I guess some people are gun shy thinking they might get it all fixed up only to have another hurricane hit. Looking at the Google aerial view of Galveston it seems there are lots of new rooftops etc, so hopefully in time it will be a flourishing beachside island again. The seawall is pretty high...it's hard to believe it wasn't enough to save Galveston's pounding. Glad you had a great time. Thanks for sharing your pics. I look forward to seeing the bag you made tomorrow.

Sleep tight and I hope Kiki's first day back tomorrow goes well for her.

Big hugs.

sadie said...

Sounds like you had such a good time.
Fab photos :O)

Summer came back here at the end of last week and over the weekend. It's starting to cloud over and rain should be here. I'm just about to go and clean windows to make sure of that! ;o) I'm ready for autumn too!

Have a lovely Monday, and I hope K has a good first day back at school
xxx

Mikki said...

Awww. Looks like you had a great time. It is sad to see all those buildings like that. I'm praying things will get better soon for people who are really working hard to make it work.

Great pictures.

Sue said...

I'm so glad you & Kiki had fun at the beach. It's one of my most favorite places on earth!

How fun to go to the Rain Forest Cafe too. We went to the one in Disney World once. There's one in Toronto but we barely get over that way so we've never been to that one.