Saturday, August 8, 2009

Last night was fun....

Cheryl's little boy Connor has started football practice this week! Poor kids, it's 100 degrees out there every day, I don't know how they can stand it. Anyway, he goes out with his Dad now 3 nights a week from 6 til 8.30pm. Cheryl is enjoying this 'quiet' time at home while the 'boys' are gone (her 12 yr old is usually upstairs in his room chillin). I told her earlier this week I'd pop over with my glass of wine while it was quiet and we could have a couple of hours 'girl time'. During that conversation we got on talking about wine and cheese and how it would be fun to have ourselves a little 'tasting' party. So that's what the plan was, I'd take over a couple of cheeses and a bottle of wine and Cheryl would get some in too.

The 'plan' turned out even better than I expected. Cheryl told her sister about it and her Mom :-) They both came over and I think we had about 7 bottles of wine to try!!! Plus 5 different cheeses, grapes, apples AND chocolate covered strawberries.

I can't tell you how much fun this was. This cheese ball (below) is cinnamon and apple, and it was SO good. There was fresh apple pieces in it and the cheese was so creamy - yum!

We also had another cheese ball that Cheryl bought, it had sun-dreid tomatoes and basil in it, and the outside was rolled in freshly shaved parmesan. I brought 3 different cheeses to try... of course I had to try an English cheese, which was Gloucester garlic and onion, a matured Gouda and an Irish aged cheddar. What I forgot to do was take the names of all the wines we tried so I could tell you more about them.

Say CHEESE girls :-)

We all agreed we wanted to do this on a regular basis, not necessarily every week but maybe every other week, or once a month. The wines and cheeses to chose from are endless, and next time we said we would all dress up too and make it a 'champagne' evening. I can't wait.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm glad you had fun Denise! I sounds like a very yummy evening :) Hope you are having a great day and keeping cool. It is 93 with a heat index of 100 right now. Dan and I are getting ready to take a bike ride. At least there is a strong breeze to keep us cool. Love ya!

Mikki said...

YUMMY!!! Looks like fun. What a great idea turned into a fun girls night in!!

Clueless_Mama said...

Wow, it looks like you had so much fun! I wish I had girlfriends here to get together like that with. All the food looks yummy. Who made the cheese balls? Can I come next time LOL

I am having a blog makeover and will have a button next week hopefully! I am glad you are having fun with my giveaways. My mom is the one that did the review on the book for me. She thinks it may make a better movie than book...just an FYI. Anyway I will have to try out the Twilight series. Thanks for the tip.

sadie said...

ooh, two of my most favourite things in the world! I love wine and cheese!

Now, pleased enlighten me. With a cheese ball what do you do? slice it and eat it like normal cheese, or spread it on crackers? It's one of those things I've always wanted to know. GP books don't explain how to eat it, they just give the recipe, and if cheese balls are unusual to you then they are a mystery. I need instructions! I'd proably pick it up and scoff it like an apple (I am that much of a cheese monster!)

Adding champagne will just make your evening even better! Great fun!

Have a lovely Sunday xxx

Darylynn said...

What fun, Denise! I'm not surprised you forgot the names of the wines! You'll just have to do it over and over again until you pick the perfect wines/champagnes! :) (((Hugz)))

Sue said...

What a fun night. I wanna live in your neighborhood, man! Next time you'll have to tell us what you paired together with which wines.

Looks like you ladies really enjoyed yourselves ;-)

Hugs xo