Friday, March 26, 2010

Furry Friends and Fertilizer







It's fun to join in with 'blogland parties'. For one it helps me decide what to post about on certain days, but I also love to visit other blogs and see what others have posted. It's great meeting new bloggers that way. So, this Friday I'm joining Necel again for 'Furry Friends Friday' and Tootsie for Fertilizer Friday. Now that things are growing in the garden I'd like to join in with Fertilizer Friday each week so I can give updates of our veggies and visit other gardening enthusiasts :-) Be sure to visit both blogs to see some other fun participants.

Last week I told you I'd let you know how Boo got his name... Boo Hau (pr. How) being his full name. That's not his registered kennel name, we didn't register him at all. It's just the name Jason chose for him when we were all trying to think of what to call him. I can't really remember any suggestions Kristen and I made, but I do remember Jason suggested Wonton! Seriously? Wonton I asked. Errrr, that would be NO! Next thing he said was "OK, what about Boo How?" Hmmm, I liked Boo, very cute, but what on earth is Boo Hau. Turns out 'Boo Hau means 'not good' in Chinese! For some reason Jason and his pals at work were going through a phase using this saying to each other throughout the day as in "oh man, that's boo hau". The fact that the breeder had told us Boo was the little 'rooter tooter' of the litter seemed to enforce this name. So Boo Hau it was, but we often just call him Boo, unless he's really naughty and Jason will actually shout Boo Hau in a stern voice! Here's a picture of Boo on his first birthday :-)

Kristen insisted we have a party for him, and yes that's Little Cesar dog food with a candle in it. It was Boo's first try of it, filet mignon flavor. He's such a fussy pup, to this day he will still turn his nose up at it (he does this to all of his food) but eventually eats it.

Jason and I want to get in to the habit of fertilizing the veggies and trees each week but we'll probably do it on a Sunday when we both have a free day. I'd still like to take part in Tootsie's FF so I will just give garden updates and show you what's been growing with flowers and veg on Fridays.

The weather was terrible last weekend and I'm sad to say the tomato and pepper plants we planted out didn't make it :-( It was so windy - SO windy that this happened . . .

This, being the green house that was previously standing like this (below - actually tied to the wall I might add) . . .

The good news is none of those plants were in it just a few pots of seeds I'd planted a couple of days before, which hadn't even sprouted, so I don't feel like I lost much. The bad news being those plants were the ones I planted in the garden so the wind got them anyway.

On a brighter note, the Bradford Pear in the front yard is looking pretty this week. . .

and the sun will be shining all weekend so we should be able to get out and 'play' in the yard :-)


11 comments:

John said...

Enjoyed your photos. Boo's a cutie (and so is your daughter)!

Southern Lady said...

Love your Boo! He is too cute!

Darla said...

Love the birthday party....you can still plant more veggies, it's early. Bummer though...

Melody said...

Awwww boo is too cute! What a sweet idea it was to throw him a little party :o) I hope you and your family have a great weekend! *hugs*

Tootsie said...

your Boo is adorable. and the pear tree is gorgeous...sorry about your greenhouse accident...been there...and still worry when the wind is high and my greenhouse is a full building now! lol
thanks for linking in today! I have enjoyed visiting!

Judy said...

Happy Friday Denise! Boo is so cute, & I bet he's even cute when he must be called 'Boo Hau'. :-) He looks so sweet at his birthday party. Love your pear tree (I suppose that's your house in the background??) - it looks lovely. Hope you havea blessed weekend Denise. Have fun creating - I have a feeling you will find something new to do. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family, Denise. I love the pictures on your sidebar (oh and a lovely little puppy too -- can't forget Boo)! I'm so glad that you found me because it allowed me to find you!!! I love your blog! You enjoy your weekend while I peruse around for a while.

Stephanie @ La Dolce Vita said...

Boo is so cute! what a little face! Sorry to hear about your plants. Way too chilly in NY to even think about it yet, but we're getting a few signs that spring is coming. Have a great weekend.
Best,
Stephanie

Junkie Junkeldorf said...

Hi Denise... Thanks for linking to FFF again. I just can't get enough of that Boo!

Necel from the Old House in Texas

Melanie said...

Boo is so cute and what is it with men and the names they pick:) I am glad that you told us what it meant because I sure didn't know. I love that Kristen wanted to put a candle in the dog food. Too cute. Have fun playing this weekend. I will be dusting all my coffee colored blinds...slate by slate. UGH!

Dirt Princess said...

I have 2 of those greenhouses and I just love them! This is my first year to use them and they are working really well!